Saturday, April 14, 2012

Book Challenge Day 1: My Favorite Book


I love this book. I first read it when I was 12 and I wanted to be Scout. I read it once a year, and every time I do a different character or scene appeals to me. I am currently working in a 9th grade classroom where they are reading it, and I want to stop and discuss each paragraph with students. This time around, I am considering the character of Mayella in a way that I never have before. Harper Lee's masterpiece stands the test of time. The Trayvon Martin case has shown how the themes of this book are as applicable to our current world as it was in 1952. I love how the characters stay with you. Every time I read it, I hope it will somehow have a different ending and I still cry when the jury finds Tom guilty, and my heart breaks when Scout realizes that Boo is as scary as she thinks he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment